Account and Password Acceptable Use
Purpose of this policy
To provide maximum protection for institutional and personal data and information maintained in College systems and/or accessed through College networks and devices.
Scope of this policy
This policy applies to all individuals who use or access any Austin College electronic service, system, network, or device for any purpose. Examples include, but are not limited to, faculty, staff, current and former students, vendors, visitors, and organizations using campus systems.
Policy for Accounts
An account is defined as a unique identifier (also called a ‘username’) used to access Austin College network and system resources. All accounts are granted for the benefit of the college to conduct college-related activities.
Individual accounts are assigned to, and are the responsibility of, one person – the Account Owner, who is fully responsible for the use and activity associated with the account. The account owner must exercise the responsibilities listed below or be subject to disciplinary action.
In specially approved instances, multi-user accounts (used by more than one person) must have a documented responsible owner for communication and management of that account. That account owner must assure that all persons approved to use the account exercise the responsibilities listed below. The account of a student may be shared by that student with a single parent or legal guardian, as long as the student account owner assures that the parent or legal guardian exercises the responsibilities listed below.
User Responsibilities under this Policy
- All accounts must be protected by a password that complies with our password requirements, and the password requirement must not be bypassed or neutralized.
- Passwords should not be written down in a public place or stored electronically in an unencrypted manner.
- Passwords should not be inserted into emails or similar forms of electronic information.
- Users should not share their passwords with anyone (other than persons approved to access their multi-user account). Passwords should not be shared with anyone in the IT function.
- Passwords must be changed every 12 months (this is enforced by our systems).
- If a user suspects that their account or password has been comprised, they must report this immediately to the Help Desk or IT Security Officer.
- All College-owned electronic devices (including phones, tablets, and computers) must have a password to gain entry to the device.
- Anyone with knowledge of unauthorized access to an account or password or misuse of an account or password should notify the Help Desk or IT Security Officer immediately
College IT staff will take the appropriate actions to secure and safeguard our environment if a policy violation is known or suspected, including termination of access rights for the known or suspected violator if necessary to prevent further damage. Individuals who violate this policy may be reported to the appropriate College Vice President for additional disciplinary action.