Large Format Poster Printer
Jackson Technology Center
A poster printer, located in the Jackson Technology Center, is available for use by the Austin College Community. The primary purpose of this printer is to aid staff, faculty, and students in their academic pursuits. A valid Austin College account number is required for each printing project. Students must have a faculty member authorize their use of this printer. The printer is also available to support valid administrative functions and for recognized student groups. Recognized student groups must obtain approval from the Student Life Office. Individual use for staff, faculty, and students (even using print credit) is not permitted. This document lists the requirements to use this poster printer.
Please Note: Information Technology staff members provide printing assistance and production as a service to the College. Our goal is to help generate quality posters in a timely manner. However, as this is not the primary focus of our department, posters must be print ready and printing scheduled around daily responsibilities.
Scheduling and Timeline:
- At least 24 hours advanced notice is needed to complete your project.
- Projects involving more than 2 posters may take additional time to complete.
- Poster printing can be scheduled by emailing email@example.com or by contacting Sharon Jackson or Garrett Hubbard in the Information Technology Department.
- A completed and authorized Poster Printer Request Form (including a valid Austin College account number) is required before a poster can be printed. The form can be filled out on the computer and submitted by email, or printed and delivered along with the file(s) to print.
- PowerPoint files (.ppt)
- PowerPoint is the recommended format since a slide can be scaled to a maximum size of 56”, but we’ve found that a maximum of 54” produces better results.
- Not all PowerPoint template backgrounds will render properly.
- Certain embedded images may cause a .ppt file to fail to print. Please be sure that any images in your slide are .jpg or .gif format.
- Adobe Photoshop (.jpg, .tif, .psd)
- Should be sized to the dimensions of the poster to be printed when created for best results.
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- Must be sized to the dimensions of the poster to be printed when created for best results.
- Files must be emailed or brought to the JTC on a USB drive, along with the Poster Printer Request Form. It can be helpful to bring a smaller printed copy.
- The poster printer is supported by a computer with Windows. Documents from a Macintosh computer may not display, render or print properly.
- Below are adjusted college logos with colors that will print accurately on the poster printer. The standard logo is appropriate for posters with a white background. The logos with the black or transparent background may display better on a poster with a dark background. Please save these images to your computer to place in your document for printing.
Paper Options and Costs:
- Coated Paper – 36” wide – $ .50 per linear inch. (A 36″x24″ poster would cost $12.)
- Heavyweight Coated Paper – 36” – $.75 per linear inch. (A 36″x24″ poster would cost $18.)
- High Gloss Photo Paper – 36” wide – $1.00 per linear inch. (A 36″x24″ poster would cost $24.)
- Additional paper options and widths can be purchased upon request.
- Larger rolls of paper will be priced higher.
Payment will be made through the appropriate college budget account number and completed Poster Printer Request Form. No other forms of payment are accepted.
The cost of the poster covers printing only. Information Technology does not provide services for mounting or lamination.
Lance Barton, Professor of Biology, provides his students with a preset powerpoint template for ease of composing their poster projects. He has also compiled some helpful poster hints for his students.