The purpose of this policy is to assure that data of great value to the College that is generated and stored individually by certain College employees is backed up regularly to assure minimal impact if the computer on which the data are stored is lost or rendered unusable.
- Data maintained primarily on individually-assigned college computers or peripherals,
- which is not maintained in College systems or databases that are regularly backed-up,
- and which is created and/or maintained by employees who are considered to be “Key Managers” from the standpoint of generation and use of data of great value
- Heads of key functions, including Human Resources, Business Office/Controller, Information Technology, Registrar, Physical Plant, and Public Affairs
- Data that is within scope will be backed-up automatically once a week. This includes data primarily maintained on college computers and external hard drives. This also includes data maintained on tablets only if the tablet is used as the primary device by the Key Manager for data creation and maintenance.
- Data backed-up in this fashion will be maintained so that it is easily recoverable to the original device or a similar device.
- IT will maintain adequate documentation to demonstrate execution of the backup requirements for all Key Managers at any time.
- The IT Manager of Infrastructure is responsible for planning, executing, and documenting the data back-ups required by this policy. This Manager will implement detailed procedures to assure automated data back-up for all in-scope employees.
- Automated procedures will require that the originating device of the data be connected to the Internet. If a back-up is attempted and the device is not connected, the automated procedure will try again the next time the device is connected to the Internet.
- If a backup is delayed because a device is offline, the schedule for successive back-ups will not be delayed.
- Normally, only the Manager of Infrastructure plus the Executive Director of IT will have permissions to access the data back-ups and the devices being backed up.
- The Executive Director may authorize another IT employee to execute or modify execution of back-ups and/or to access backups and devices being backed-up, in the event the Manager of Infrastructure is unavailable.
- The Executive Director of IT will identify any changes in personnel who serve in the Key Manager positions specified by the Scope section above, and communicate these to the Manager of Infrastructure to be reflected in future back-up activities.
- The President will identify any changes needed in the list of in-scope Key Manager positions, in consultation with the Executive Director of IT, and will approve all changes to be reflected in the backup process.